WHY THIS WORK MATTERS
Social Outcomes was established in 2014 in response to a global move to focusing on outcomes and social innovation, as well as rapid changes in the impact investing market in Australia and our region. We also wanted to work with colleagues we love and respect, and address issues that are important to us all.
As things change so rapidly, we are all learning to adapt. Government funding is decreasing and the social sector is looking for ways to respond. CSR budgets in the business sector are shrinking yet the desire of companies to create meaningful impact through their work is growing. Philanthropic grantmaking is becoming more focused and requiring greater clarity on the impacts created. We are seeing an overall shift towards creative partnerships that combine the core capabilities of the private, government and not-for-profit sectors, to build stronger, more resilient communities.
All sectors are looking to understand how to use the new approaches to creating, measuring and funding impact, and make them work in practice. Questions such as “how to we embed impact into the core of our business model?”, “Should we think about a Payment by Outcome contract to fund this work?“, “Should we establish a social enterprise?“, “How will we measure the outcomes we create?“, “How can we fund our initiative?” and “Who should we be partnering with to create shared value?” are constantly being asked.
Social Outcomes helps answer these key strategic questions and partners with organisations to test and design solutions that will work. This video, kindly created by Jessie Williams, the then CEO of The Groundswell Project is an example of what this work can achieve in an organisation.
WHAT WE DO
Social Outcomes is a for-purpose business that specialises in the research, design, measurement and financing of evidence-based social impact models. We particularly focus on social and financial innovations such as impact strategy development, payment by outcomes contracting, theory of change and impact measurement frameworks. Each client engagement is a carefully tailored process that may include:
- An impact report that explores the scale, scope and costs of a particular social issue
- An in-depth analysis of the costs, potential cost savings and benefits of social, cultural and/or environmental programs
- Developing a robust theory of change for a program area or for the organisation as a whole
- Providing capacity building around using social and financial innovation tools
- Identifying and brokering relationships with the right partners (providers, corporations, investors, philanthropy, universities, government agencies)
- Designing an evidence based approach based on research of successful models in Australia and around the world
- Providing specialist expertise to develop funding options
- Undertaking impact readiness assessments and developing the capacity required
- Designing and developing impact measurement frameworks
- Assisting with the program implementation where required
TOOLS WE USE
Our team are all experienced practitioners who have worked for many years successfully delivering ground-breaking social innovations, using a range of social and financial innovation approaches. Our ‘social impact toolbox’ includes: